I've Moved!

Now you can find me at kungpowhausfrau.com.
Come and visit me there for the newest posts!

Monday, February 23, 2015

Ramblings on illness, and This Week's Menu

Viruses, bacteria, and their ilk must love my family lately. The Husband was ill for most of the weekend with what we figured out was either norovirus or food poisoning (the entire office got it), and Oompa Loompa (that'd be my 5-year-old son) has had a fever off and on for the last four days. Friday he woke up at about 10 p.m. with the most frightening cough/stridor/gasping for air I've ever heard. I was thisclose to calling an ambulance, but we got him calmed down and thankfully had no more croup symptoms for the rest of the night. It scared me so much that I slept in his bed with him that night so I could keep watch, which he absolutely reveled in. That boy.

It's funny how illness can affect different people differently. Oompa Loompa has always had a bad time with coughs, and this wasn't the first time he's had a croup-like cough (although it was the scariest). When Munchkin was little, she would get sick with the stomach flu more than the others ever have. She also has an interesting array of innocuous anatomical anomalies. Stitch is the only one of my kids who has ever been on antibiotics (PRAISE THE LORD!), although she started her run early with and eye infection/possible cellulitis at ten days old.

The Husband doesn't get sick very often, but when he does it is usually the worst out of all of us. Last year a round of hand, foot, and mouth disease tore through our city. Oompa Loompa was the first to get it, then the rest of the kids, then me, and then The Husband. And while we developed a few of the tell-tale lesions here and there on our hands and feet, The Husband got a hundred of them all over not only his hands and feet but also his arms, legs, and face. In his seven years on the job, he had to call into work sick for the first time because nobody wanted him in the office! While he was sick and infectious, I had about 12 different family members in town for a family reunion, and half of them were staying in our house. To top it off, a few months later he lost his toenails, which is also a side-effect of the disease.

Thank God, I haven't been sick too often, because as a stay-at-home-mom, I can't call in sick! The best I could do would be to throw some mac and cheese and some dried fruit at the kids and leave them to the Netflix Nanny. Then The Husband would have to repair any damage Stitch would have inflicted while running wild.

Weekly Menu
Monday: Sukiyaki
Tuesday: Bison Burgers with roasted sweet potatoes "fries"
Wednesday: Kids' Night (Gluten-free corndogs, more sweet potato "fries", carrot sticks)
Thursday: Firecracker Salmon, steamed broccoli, rice
Friday: Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup with Cobb Salad
Saturday: Chicken Marsala (always double the sauce!) over pasta and a side salad
Sunday: Loaded Ramen


No comments:

Post a Comment